What to bring…
This is a guide for most WalkingWomen holidays but it will depend on the country and time of year. We will provide essential kit lists for individual holidays
- Walking Boots – Leather or waterproof fabric, and they need to be already broken in.
- Robust walking shoes can be preferable in the summer.
- Walking Socks – Blisters can be avoided by wearing a thin sock underneath (not cotton), or buy a pair of ‘guaranteed not to blister’ socks which are made up of 2 layers.
- Waterproofs – trousers and jacket. Dry sacks for inside and water bags for over your rucksack. Gaiters can be useful.
- Lunch box or your own bag for packed lunches – to avoid soggy sandwiches and to reuse
- Wax wraps for sandwiches to avoid plastic.
- Extra fleece or sweater to put on during a stop.
- Walking tops – Layers are important so you can adjust easily to temperature changes. Read these great article on The Three Layer System from Cotswold Outdoor and How to Layer from Findra Clothing
- The Base Layer: Moisture Management
- The Mid-Layer: Insulation
- The Outer Layer: Weather Protection
- Trousers loose enough not to restrict your movement, and maybe shorts for hot weather. Jeans are not a good idea (stiff, and heavy when wet).
- Gloves, hat, neck warmer or ear warmers, don’t underestimate how important these can be on higher walks, even in summer!
- Rucksack to carry spare sweater, waterproofs, packed lunch, water bottle, and other items.
- Water Flask – Good sized water flask/chilly bottle.
- Sun screen, sun glasses, sun hat . Sun screen can even be needed in winter on some days.
- Walking poles – not essential, but good for balance on uneven ground and they reduce wear to your knees.
- Camera or phone for photos – we love to see them
Discounts – Customers of WalkingWomen receive:
- A 10% discount from FINDRA a sustainable active lifestyle and outdoor clothing company. FINDRA has a womenswear, menswear and accessories collection made from natural, breathable, cruelty-free merino wool. Please use the code FINWW10 for 10% discount on their website
- A 12.5% discount at Cotswold Outdoor so if you are looking to buy new kit let us know and we will give you access to the discount codes.